Eggplant parmigiana is a great comforting dish. We love the taste, warmth and flavours it brings. Make a bigger batch and keep some for leftovers the next day.
- Serves: Family
- Prep time: 45 minutes
- Cook time: 40 minutes
Parmigiana3 medium eggplants, washed and sliced into 1cm thick roundssour creamshredded mozzarellagrated parmesandried oregano2 tbsps cooking salt
Sauce400ml passata1/2 brown onion, finely chopped1 clove garlic, mincedolive oil
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Lay the slices of eggplant flat on a clean tea towel, not overlapping. Sprinkle with the cooking salt and set aside for 30mins. During this time the eggplant slices will sweat water – this is what you want to happen, don’t worry!
- Over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic with 1 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan until fragrant and transparent. Add the passata, reduce to a low heat, and allow to warm through for 5-10mins.
- Once the eggplant has been salted for 30mins, dab the slices with toweling paper to remove excess water.
- In a large oven-proof frying pan or chef’s pan over medium heat, cook the eggplant slices in batches and add in a few tablespoons of olive oil until slightly browned and golden. Set aside until all the slices are cooked.
- In the same oven-proof pan or chef’s pan, begin the assembly process, much like you would a lasagna: layers of cooked eggplant, a ladle of sauce, followed by a handful of shredded mozzarella, dotted with a 6-10 teaspoons of sour cream per layer. Continue this process until you’ve used up all the ingredients.
- Top with a handful of grated parmesan and a sprinkling of dried oregano, and bake in the oven for 30mins, or until brown and golden on top.
- Allow the parmigiana to stand at room temperature and cool slightly before serving – this will help the sauce to absorb into the eggplant.
Cheesecake is one of the simplest and delicious low-carb desserts to prepare. Serves: 10 Prep time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes + time in the fridge Ingredients 2 cups cashew meal (can use almond meal) 50 grams melted butter 500 grams cream cheese 2 eggs 1...
These are a great option to take to someone's house or to enjoy during the day with the kids. Serves: 12 Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes Ingredients 2 large yellow peaches 2 avocados 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar pinch of...
A quick and easy meal. This is a modified version of Jamie Oliver's Gnarly Peanut Chicken from his book, 5 Ingredients. Serves: 2 Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Ingredients 250g skinless chicken breasts 2 lemons Garlic 2 tbsp of peanut butter 1...